SUPER GREEN GOODNESS | Nutrient-rich and comforting asparagus leek soup bursting with cashew creaminess
To spruce up those spring and summer months, I strongly advise making this potent green (detoxing) concoction for the family (or friends). Asparagus, leek, green peas, and spring onion soup infused with the creaminess of roasted cashews and enhanced by a gentle hint of thyme undertones. What could possibly go wrong?
Cashews lend body, creaminess, and richness to this asparagus and leek soup while also making it vegan (subbing the cream). For those who prefer, feel free to use almonds instead.
Feel free to tinker with the proportion of asparagus vs leek vs green pea depending on your palette profile. For me, I like to personally go heavier on the asparagus and leeks.
Creamy cashew asparagus leek soup with a hint of thyme and lemon
PREP TIME: 10 min | ACTIVE TIME: 10 min | TOTAL TIME: 20 min | YIELDS: 4 servings
- 1 knob of coconut oil or butter
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 12 ounces / 1 large bundle of asparagus, chopped
- 1.5 cups of green peas
- 2 cups of leek, chopped.
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of cashews (preferable to soak for 4 hours or overnight ahead of time)
- 1 small bunch of spring onion, sliced
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
- optional: 1/2 lemon, juiced (for brightness)
- 1 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- On medium heat, heat saute pan with knob of butter or coconut oil. Add the garlic and shallots and stir for 1 minute. Next add the asparagus, leeks, cashews, spring onions and shallots and continue to gently stir fry for another 8 minutes or so till lightly browned.
- Add vegetable stock into a high speed blender. Squeeze in the juice of 1/2 lemon and add the thyme. Transfer vegetable contents inside blender. Blend on high speed till smooth. Season with black pepper.
- Heat soup mixture in a pot. Serve while warm and garnish with vegetable sprigs and croutons/breadcrumbs before serving.