Barramundi is Australia’s favourite fish and is known through many parts of the world as “Asian Sea Bass”. It has the same sweet flavour and meaty texture as other seabass, yet its unique eco-friendly profile makes it unlike any other fish available.
Barramundi seabass has a mild buttery flavour and a dense meaty texture (think snapper crossed with halibut). It’s not a ‘fishy fish’ and just about everyone – even kids – love it. It’s healthy, delicious and affordable.
How about its health benefits? Barramundi has omega-3 levels that rival wild Coho Salmon, which is unheard of for a mild white fish! With just 137 calories and only 2.5 grams of ‘good fat’ per portion, it has half the calories of salmon and is ideal for anyone looking to make healthy food choices.
How can it be cooked? Don’t let the exotic name fool you – barramundi seabass is a snap to cook. Bake it with some bread crumbs, sauté with a little lemon butter, or marinate it with some olive oil, herbs and fresh squeezed lemon and toss it on the grill. One of my favourite ways to cook a whole barramundi is to garnish the fish with lemon and rosemary first and give it a good salt and olive oil rub, then roast the entire fish in the oven for ~15-20 minutes or so. Voila!
- 1 whole barramundi (~500g), cleaned and scaled
- 1 bunch of fresh rosemary
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Maldon sea salt flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed with back of knife
- Olive oil, to drizzle over fish
1) Preheat oven to 190°C. Place fish on top of a wire rack in a foiled roasting pan. Like an amateur surgeon, slash the fish diagonally three times on each side – approximately 1 inch apart – and insert half a thin lemon slice. Repeat on other side. Massage ~1 teaspoon of olive oil on each side of the fish then generously rub the Maldon sea salt flakes and rosemary all over.
2) Stuff cavity the remaining lemon slices and the crushed garlic cloves. Add rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Stick fish in oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until flesh is opaque and flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve immediately.