BROCCOLI WITH ANCHOVIES | A easy side dish with an umami punch
Broccoli with anchovies…who would have thought these two would pair well together. Well, I’m here to tell you that these two complement each other like a married couple and to elevate the pairing, I would suggest a generous toppling of garlic bread crumbs.
Now why the anchovies? These tiny cured fish pack a wallop of flavour in tiny amounts and because of that, I personally love to add them to everything from a simple salad dressing to a hearty beef stew. Canned or cured anchovies offer a totally different taste experience from your regular kosher salt. That’s because they deliver umami—a taste that’s loosely defined as particularly “savoury” (the other tastes are bitter, sweet, salty and sour). Give anchovies a try and wow the eaters in your home.
This broccoli dish can function as a simple side that can be made in less than 10 minutes. I’ve infused the olive oil with some garlic chips and added a squirt of lemon juice too to brighten things up.
Stir-fried Broccoli with Anchovies
PREP TIME: 5 min | COOK TIME: 5 min | TOTAL TIME: 10 min | YIELDS: 2-3 servings as a side
- one medium bunch of broccoli
- 1 piece of anchovy from the can/jar
- 1 tablespoon of garlic bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 clove of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Cut broccoli into florets. Wash and spin dry in salad spinner or pat dry.
- Turn stove on medium heat and heat a saute pan with olive oil. Once oil starts to shimmer add sliced garlic and anchovies.
- Once anchovies melt, add the broccoli and stir fry for 1 minute or so. Add the wine, water and lemon juice. Stir fry for another 2-3 minutes till all the liquid evaporates. If desired, crack some fresh black pepper to taste.
- Dish up the broccoli onto a serving plate. Garnish with the garlic breadcrumbs before serving. This dish can be served warm or at room temperature as a salad.