Following my cooking workshop, I had a bunch of cremini mushrooms left so I thought…hang on, why not make a decadent mushroom with thyme on sourdough for breakfast?
Just to give you some insight, cremini mushrooms are commonly marketed as “baby bella” or “baby portobello” mushrooms because they are just that – a juvenile portobello mushroom. The difference between these two brown mushroom is age. Portobello mushrooms are simply the mature version of cremini mushrooms harvested when they’re fully grown. Simply check the bottom of the cremini to ensure the gills are covered – that’s how you know they are still fresh.
As for flavour, portobello mushrooms are more mature, less moist, but have more depth of mushroom flavour. Just an interesting fact here : the white button mushrooms, the most familiar kitchen staple, are simply the youngest variety. They have been cultivated, too, for that white color and soft texture. In the wild these mushrooms are usually browner. More information about mushroom variety can be found here.
How do you know which mushroom to use? When going for burgers, sandwiches and meal-sized stuffed mushrooms you would want to opt for portobello for the firmer texture. However, when you want the smaller package, you can opt for the cremini. Simply saute, serve them sliced and tossed in a dressing, or in omelettes and pasta sauces.
Mushrooms with Thyme on Sourdough
PREP TIME: 10 min | ACTIVE TIME: 10 min | TOTAL TIME: 20 min | YIELDS : 1 serving
- 6-8 cremini mushrooms.
- few strands of fresh thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Mushrooms aren’t meant to be washed. Simply wipe the mushrooms with a kitchen towel and then slice them.
2. Turn stove on high heat and heat griddle pan. Add butter and brush all over for it to melt. Layer the sourdough on the griddle and let it rest for 2 minutes on each side until char marks form.
3. Remove bread and let it rest on a plate. Using the same pan, melt the butter and add the garlic, mushrooms and thyme. Crack some freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste. Gently let the mushrooms cook for a few minutes till they are soft.
4. Once mushrooms are done, spoon on top of the grilled sourdough on the plate. Serve while warm.